Monday, February 9, 2009

bEauTy scHooL dRopOuT

okay, not beauty school, but cake decorating school. my so sweet husband surprised me with cake decorating classes since i had been wanting to learn for so long. my friend heather decided to take it with me. oh, we were excited. we could just see our future...opening our own bakery, baking and designing the cutest, most delicious cakes you could ever imagine.

well, it hasn't exactly gone as planned. not only has it been quite a freak show (crazy teacher, melty frosting, too much corn starch, too many roses), we aren't exactly as fabulous as we imagined. this has been surprising to us. don't get me wrong...we know we aren't martha or anything, but we are both pretty crafty and have attempted this sort of thing before. we figured at least one of us would be good.

well, we're not. clay didn't believe me because i have a tendency to be a bit of a perfectionist and exaggerator at times, but not this time. seriously, out of about 20 peeps in the class...we are the worst. seriously the worst.

so, last week was officially our last week. no more wasted time here. don't worry, we aren't completely giving up. we are convinced that we have a small glimmer of hope. we will teach ourselves.

you should click here to read heather's perspective. She is a MUCH better writer than me and it is super funny!



Photobucket

4 comments:

Lauren said...

My mom and sister-in-law took cake decorating classes last spring. I decided I wouldn't take part because my cake decorating skills are beyond lacking. They had fun though. Yea for trying new things :)

annalee said...

i can't wait to hear more about teaching yourselves. you are an excellent teacher!

Melissa said...

I used to throw cakes away when they wouldn't come out. My mom was never happy about that decision! I am sure that yours looked great!

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

This is hilarious! I have avoided those classes because they might "expose" that I really don't know what I'm doing!

I love your blog and will visit often!