i once heard that no matter how bad of a golfer you are, it is an addicting sport. you can hit a hundred bad shots, but then...out of nowhere, you hit a tiger wood's shot. one amazing shot out of a hundred and you're hooked.
well, teaching has the same affect.
the past couple of weeks have been cRazY!! spring break is a week away and state assessments are two weeks away. basically that means lots of teaching and reviewing are being done and the kids are crazy!
so, i've had lots of exhausting, bad days. a hundred bad shots if you will.
but then you have a day like today...my tiger wood's, teacher of the year kind of day.
i absolutely love teaching social studies. i love getting the kids excited about history and i love not having the pressure of a state assessment. currently we are learning about the west african slave trade in the 1500's. the kids are hooked. they are having the best discussions, they are making incredible connections to our world today and they are basically hanging on every word i say. it's great.
at the end of our social studies time today, we were wrapping up and i was telling them what we would be focusing on next week and several of the kids starting going on about how they already knew and started telling me all about it. come to find out, a lot of them had read ahead in the book. they told me they just couldn't wait, they wanted to know what was going to happen.
they read ahead! it just made my heart smile. i love to see kids excited about learning. the thing is, i can have a hundred days where i say i am done with teaching, i have reached my limit and i can't do it anymore. but all it takes is one day to make me think i could teach forever.
thank you jesus. i really needed that hole in one.
well, teaching has the same affect.
the past couple of weeks have been cRazY!! spring break is a week away and state assessments are two weeks away. basically that means lots of teaching and reviewing are being done and the kids are crazy!
so, i've had lots of exhausting, bad days. a hundred bad shots if you will.
but then you have a day like today...my tiger wood's, teacher of the year kind of day.
i absolutely love teaching social studies. i love getting the kids excited about history and i love not having the pressure of a state assessment. currently we are learning about the west african slave trade in the 1500's. the kids are hooked. they are having the best discussions, they are making incredible connections to our world today and they are basically hanging on every word i say. it's great.
at the end of our social studies time today, we were wrapping up and i was telling them what we would be focusing on next week and several of the kids starting going on about how they already knew and started telling me all about it. come to find out, a lot of them had read ahead in the book. they told me they just couldn't wait, they wanted to know what was going to happen.
they read ahead! it just made my heart smile. i love to see kids excited about learning. the thing is, i can have a hundred days where i say i am done with teaching, i have reached my limit and i can't do it anymore. but all it takes is one day to make me think i could teach forever.
thank you jesus. i really needed that hole in one.


12 comments:
I couldn't agree more! Those "hole in one" days are the reason that we keep going back year after year.
Part of the fuel behind the desire to read ahead comes from an inspiring teacher. Way to go, Kristin! They are lucky to have you!
I loved reading that! We are so lucky there are people like you out there that care that much about teaching kids!
i knew you would, i knew you would, i knew you would... remember why all the rest of us think you are such a great teacher:) so glad yesterday was one of those days!
Kristin, I know you are a fabulous fourth grade teacher!! Those students are so blessed to have Mrs. Fulghum in their lives. The thing I am most thankful for is that the presence of Christ is undoubtedly in your classroom. I pray that the Lord would pour out His richest blessings on your ministry! You are a treasure :)
You are such a great teacher!! I'm sure there is no greater joy, as a parent, than knowing their child has a teacher that cares for them, prays for them, encourages them and loves them. Thank you for being that teacher! XOXO
Hooray for a good day at the "office!" Your kids are so blessed to have you as their teacher:)
Amen, sister friend! I needed to read that. Thank you for charging my "teacher battery"!
YOU make MY heart smile. I'm so glad God gave you that extra boost. (oh, and happy birthday!) I love you!
Yay for your hole in one! I can only imagine how much fun your classroom probably is...it's no wonder the kids are excited about school! Hope you have more and more of those days. :)
What a great post! I love golf it is addicting! Glad to hear you had a great day!
Social Studies was my favorite subject when I was a kid, wish I could have had you for a teacher! :)
I love that you have a BLOG. I had no clue. Great post about teaching. I know we all can use encouragement with the work we do, whether we teach, practice law, or kick people's butts with their budgets :)
Post a Comment