i struggle with comparing myself to others.
always have.
it will probably be something i always struggle with.
if only i were as good of a mom as that person.
if only my house were as cute.
if only i were that skinny.
if only i were that pretty.
if only
if only
if only.
i have recently been feeling like reading blogs is contributing to this struggle.
i love reading blogs.
i love getting ideas from others.
i love keeping up with people.
i love it.
but i don't love comparing myself
my family
or my life to others.
i want to live in my life.
in the present.
do the best that i can for my family
and be the best mom and wife i can for my family.
the Lord has made me the way i am for a reason
and i'm thankful that He loves me as i am.
anyways,
i've decided to take a break from reading blogs.
i'm going to continue updating my blog
because i'm afraid my mom will disown me if i stop!
but i promise i won't be offended if you, my other reader, stop reading.
i'm keeping up with my blog for my family
and our memories.
thanks for understanding when i'm talking to you
and have no idea about that hilarious story you wrote about
or haven't tried pw's delicious new recipe.
i guess you'll just have to tell me in person.
i'll miss you blog world.


22 comments:
it's funny. i always look at you and your beautiful family and find myself wanting to be you. i think every woman goes through what you're going through. i totally understand. i love reading your blog and i'm glad you'll keep on posting! btw, did you get my email? my mom will take any meat you don't take. she's cool like that. love you kristin beulah fulghum. if only that were your real middle name!
Sister, this is such a powerful post. You are so right about all of it. And it really is so easy to compare and see how green the grass is is someone else's pasture. The problem is that people don't post about the cow patties as much as they post about the sunsets. I try to remember that myself. :) You have a sweet and precious family and they are so lucky to have YOU. I'm glad you're gonna keep posting because I'm going to need more pictures of L's pigtails!! :) XOXO
I'm right there with you girl. There are a few blogs I have stopped looking at because they just really make me struggle with those same things you posted. I will continue to read your sweet blog to keep up with your family and Miss Leighton! Love you!
Gurl.
You could be my heart twin, I do believe.
And I 100% respect your break from blogs! I did the same thing about a year ago and when I decided to start reading again, a whole heapin' lot of blogs I cared about before no longer made the cut.
I struggle, I mean STRUGGLE, with wanting to be the kind of mom someone else is or have the type of house someone else has or do the activities that someone else does...and lose sight of the type of mom God has specifically designed for ME to be or the type of home that I really want for MY family or the activities that suite that best suite MY family.
The whole "grass is greener" idea is a tricky little enticing lie from Satan...and it gets so many of us Christian women all. the. time. We become distracted so easily and distracted children of God aren't very powerful.
So, all of this to say, I am so proud of you for taking a stand! I know your life will be blessed because of it!
I totally and completely know what you are talking about. I have taken multiple breaks from reading blogs and also from Facebook. For me it's when I feel like everyone in the world either has a baby or is pregnant. I start to get obsessed and tell my husband every day who is pregnant. I sometimes get to points where comparision rules my life, and when I finally realize it, it's hard to stop.
I also look at your blog and want to be you - to have a beautiful daughter and be a stay at home mom. In fact - and this is crazy - you posted a picture a long time ago where you looked so cute in a scarf and these cute earrings, and to this day, when I put on a scarf, I think "This scarf would look so much cuter on Kristin." I mean is that crazy or what? So you're not the only one. You're wonderful, though, and I think we can all relate.
It cracks me up that you think I'm not going to read your blog just because you're not reading mine. ;)
I love you and think you and your family and your home are fabulous.
I'm proud of you for doing what you're doing. I hope it helps you not be so hard on yourself. It makes me sad when you're sad.
p.s. did you and Jami plan your postings for today? A joint-venture of sorts?
Girl...this is so honorable and I, too, stop looking at blogs for seasons for the exact same reason!...But, it's so true that we only blog our happy moments! I've actually thought about blogging some of the "bad times" ...because GOODNESS KNOWS, my life is FAR FROM PERFECT!!! Anyway, happy blog vacation...and, I'll enjoy watching your sweet family in the meantime! HUGS!
JINX! how hilarious. we wrote the same damn thing. i cussed, that's right.
anyway, when you come back to reading blogs, because you will, i hope you get a sense that people aren't being the real "them". you're comparing yourself to a pretend person that doesn't exist.
and fyi, i pretty much only read my friend's blogs and leave it at that...unless searching for an idea for something specific...
i will continue reading your blog. and i will also post my blog in your comments so you have to read it. haha.
I think everyone struggles with that right? I read something the other day that said, "put the parenting books down and start praying more." I thought that was really neat and can apply to a lot of areas. stop worrying about things and trying to be as good as everyone else, just enjoy what you have right? everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. we will miss your comments but completely understand where you are coming from. i guess you just need to visit more often to stay updated ;)
i'm abbe's sister and found your blog through hers. i am not on facebook for that very reason. it is freeing, and it frees up more time to bask in what god has given you. love this post!
I will most definitely keep reading your blog because I think you're fabulous, skinny, beautiful...and all of those other things. For realz, sister. And that baby girl of yours - oh the cuteness!!
I have to take blog breaks (writing and reading) for so many reasons throughout the year. God just says, "you need to check yourself, child" and a break always does me good. So enjoy yours. :)
((HUGS)) friend!
I love the title of this post because so often one little thought of comparison can creep in and rob you of joy for the whole day! Thanks for being so honest and sharing--it's very encouraging to the rest of us who struggle with the same thing! Love you, friend!
love you lev :)
I think that you are the perfect granddaughter, the perfect wife to Clay F. and the perfect mom to Leighton. Sorry you have to struggle with feeling you do not measure up, because I think you are just fine the way you are. I agree with your Mom that you need to keep us informed through your blog. I love reading all about life at your house, and I love you!
I was JUST having a conversation with a friend about this exact thing! I'm so thankful you wrote these words and are making a stand against the temptation! Know that I'll still reading about your family & beautiful girl! And thanks for encouraging others of us out there to do the same!
I really enoy your blog, Kristin! I will continue to read. I really respect what you have written. You have a beautiful family. Blessings to the Fulghums.
Thanks for being honest and vulnerable! It is so easy to look to our right and to our left instead of looking at our creator. Thanks for sharing what is on your heart and challenging me to examine what I am focusing on!
i love your heart and conviction to always keep growing. thank you for encouraging me by example! love you.
great post.
i can totally relate.
good for you to step out of it for awhile.
Word! I can't believe I just now came across this post. I feel the EXACT same way! Girl, you always have the cutest clothes/ accessories, cutest house---which I have copied some things, by the way--, cutest family, etc. You have nothing to worry about. I can definitely identify with everything you wrote and find myself posting less and less because of this. Anyway, just know you are not alone in this :)
You are so wise.
Don't let anyone steal your joy sweet girl! You are an awesome mama!
Post a Comment