Thursday, July 15, 2010

{embrace} tHe cAmeRa


true beauty edition.












clay & i just watched the documentary
america the beautiful.
have you seen it?
if not, you should add it to your netflix queue.
it was eye opening and incredibly sad.
basically, it's about america's obsession with being beautiful.
the western world's view of beautiful.
skinny, pretty, tan, clear skin, shiny hair.
you know.
as someone who has always struggled with self esteem and the world's approval,
this film hit me hard.
as a mother of a little girl,
this film hit me hard.
i want leighton to grow up knowing that she's beautiful.
knowing that she's perfect just as she is.
whatever her body type.
whatever her skin looks like.
whatever color her hair is.
but most importantly i want her to know that she is beautiful because she was made in the image of the most beautiful.
the image of a Savior that made her perfectly unique and perfectly wonderful.
so for now,
i will be praying this,
"do not love the world or the things in the world. if anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. for all that is in the world - the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions - is not from the Father but is from the world." 1 john 2:15-16
i'm praying for leighton to grow up knowing the truth about beauty.
and praying that i would be a godly role model of true, genuine beauty
to my beautiful daughter.
post signature

18 comments:

Faith said...

Great picture! And I will have to add that movie to my list of "must see movies".

Jami Nato said...

i have to agree. it is so easy to get wrapped up in all of that. and you're right, once you have a little girl..YIKES...hits home.

Cassie said...

Can't wait to watch it!

I so appreciate your words!

Anonymous said...

Ditto. To all of it. Except that I haven't seen that movie. I'll put it in our queue.

bethany said...

Amen amen amen. So true.

Great blog!

Natalie said...

I haven't heard of the movie but now I want to see it! Love your goals for teaching Leighton about true beauty-its one of my big goals too! Love you girl!

Amy H. said...

Thats a hard one for sure. I can only hope that my little girl learns her self worth is not wrapped up in her appearance.

Mande said...

Sounds like a movie I need to watch. The photo is beautiful.

Gran said...

You are certainly one of the most beautiful young women I know, both outside and inside. Please know that Gran thinks you are beautiful, just like you are. Little Miss Leighton will be also, I know, because you and Clay will help her to know that God makes everything beautiful, in His time. I love you 3 so much.

Heather said...

AMen sista!! Great word for what you are praying for your girl! Great picture!

emily anderson said...

totally agree...

love the picture---she is a doll :)

Rachel said...

Oh, friend, you made me tear up! Lei Lei is so lucky to have a momma like you! Thanks for reminding me what my focus should be!

Jennifer said...

Love the picture this week, Kristin! Thanks for keeping up with my blog. I write it sometimes and wonder if anyone actually reads it. haha! oh well.

Also, I watched America the Beautiful tonight at your recommendation. Good documentary. It actually was pretty mild compared to what it could have been. Having done a short stent of modeling years ago, I quickly removed myself from that enivronment after realizing what it can do to a person. I watched young girls just like Gerren who were 15 and 16 go through almost identical processes as she did. It was heartbreaking. Good for your for passing along this suggestion! And good for you for wanting something better for Leighton. It was so lovely hearing from you!

The Bonjour Four said...

precious picture of you and your daughter. I found your precious blog from the andersons. :) I saw that ya'll live in Kansas City. My sister lives there too. I've visited her a few months ago and fell in love with the place. It's gorgeous! she is getting married in Sept so we will be going back there very soon. :)

Sara S. said...

Awesome picture and post. I agree completely and struggle with the same stuff. Very well said. Have you heard the song Beautiful You by Jonny Diaz? It is funny how issues like these force you to confront your own personal struggles...especially when you have a little girl that watches everything you do and listens to everything you say. It is definitely a work in progress for me :)

terri eggers fulghum said...

We'll be checking this out on netflix and I totally embrace the the concept!

annalee said...

thanks for the movie rec and seeking to raise your girl with inner beauty! you are a good example of beauty to her already.

Kelli said...

I pray this for Caroline all the time. It is one of my fears that she will get sucked into the pressures of this world's definition of beauty.