Wednesday, August 18, 2010

tHe fiRsT dAy oF scHooL

august 18, 2010.
if i were going back to school,
today would be the day.
but luckily for me,
instead of teaching 28 {yes, that's how many 4th graders i taught last year}
i get to teach just one!
this cute one.


what i've learned about my little lady in the last 6 months of her life
is that she is active!
she likes to touch everything.
she wants to know what things feel like and taste like.
my hunch is that she's going to be a kinesthetic learner.
learn by doing, talking, touching just like her mama.

i discovered this great website called
you enter your child's birthdate and they email you an age appropriate activity
every single day!!
i love it.

we've done some fun activities lately.
like
play with tissue paper.


we had to put the pacifier in because she kept trying to eat the paper.
{i mean seriously, everything goes in the mouth}
but she loved this!

my friend heather
gave me the idea of giving leighton a tape ball to play with.


it of course went straight to her mouth and she couldn't quite figure out what to do with it.
then i gave her a bunch of the tape {not wadded up}
she still could not quite figure out what to do.

later that day she had a grand time playing with a paper bag.
oh the fun you can have with 
things that aren't actually toys.

what kinds of {alternative} activities do you do with your children?

post signature

14 comments:

bethany said...

So I am assuming you've written a lesson plan for our play date tomorrow?

Seriously weird to not be at school right now, but I am so thankful to be home with my little lady!

The Yellow Door said...

My kids love measuring cups and spoons! Stacking them and banging them. Captures their attention way longer then "toys"!

Cassie said...

I am checking that website out RIGHT NOW! How cool!

Eli loves anything that makes a lot of noise...so gets to play with bells (with handles), blocks (which he bangs on his high chair tray), and somehow, he always seems to find ANY paper that is within his reach. He'll climb to get to scrunch up paper!

annalee said...

love the tape and tissue paper ideas!
g likes playing with anything akm will pry her grubby paws off of for more than ten seconds.

kellycmom said...

SERIOUSLY, your daughter is precious! i hope i get to meet her one day :) and i really love reading your blog, you have a great way with writing! miss you friend :)

kellycmom said...

oh and we make lots of crafts, anything that gets the boys dirty :P not sure if that is fun for girls :)

Gran said...

I'm glad you are home with you baby instead of at school too. That is really best for the two of you. Leighton's hair is really growing now, isn't it? One thing I remember from our boy's early days was at church giving them some scotch tape to stick on different things. That kept them quiet. You have made my day by posting the blog today. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Goodness gracious, she looks so big in that first pic!

Hope her prunes helped un-clog her:)

Jill said...

She looks so much bigger in these pics! How did that happen?

Jami Nato said...

hilarious...it's a wonder parents spend so much on real toys.

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing this website, that's such a neat idea! I will have to do this for Mollie. Mollie likes to do any kind of activity that doesn't involve her toys! I bet you are thrilled to be teaching just 1 this year!!

Kelli said...

What a great idea!!

themullinsfamily said...

Hey Kristen, it's been a long time! I found your blog through someone else at the Stone and loved seeing your precious baby girl :) Thanks for the website link. Some of their ideas are so easy that I would have never thought of them!

Jennifer said...

Your daughter makes the cutest faces! Can't wait to meet her. When I was in Abilene, I felt like the only person who hasn't met her yet.