Friday, May 20, 2011

wHo aM i?

i'm currently reading bittersweet by shauna niequist.
it's a great read. i definitely recommend it.
i've been thinking a lot about one of the chapters particularly.
things i don't do.
she's talking about wanting to do it all.
and this is what her friend told her...
"it's not hard to figure out what you want your life to be about. 
what's hard is figuring out what you're willing to give up
in order to do the things you really care about."
hmmm....i've been mulling over this for about a week now
and i'll be honest,
i can think of lots of things i do
{not all perfectly and not all the time}
but i haven't been able to pinpoint many things i'm willing to give up
in order to do the things i do well.
i've had this feeling for awhile
and as i've been reading bittersweet
it's become even more clear to me.
i don't know myself very well.
i know, that seems weird.
for crying out loud, i'm 31 years old.
that's a lot of years.
a lot of months and days and hours and minutes
to spend with yourself.
so how in the world can i not know who i am?
i've struggled for so long with insecurity and as i think about
raising two daughters in this world,
i think about how i want them to grow up to be confident, secure women.
women that first and foremost love God,
but also women that know themselves
and know how uniquely and perfectly our God has created them.
and i keep coming back to this one thought.
how can i teach my girls this truth,
when i don't know this truth myself?
so, as i continue to think about this.
and make my list.
i'm going to blog.
to hold me accountable.
to serve as a record for my daughters to one day read.
so they too can know who their momma is.
and maybe know themselves a little better because of that.

post signature

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Thanks for sharing yourself. I too have those feelings of, "who am I"? Especially when things I used to love and be passionate have now been replaced with other more necessary things-like laundry, diapers, making lunches, etc. But ultimately, I just have to remind myself that my identity is in Christ. And this season of life is short. Right now, although sometimes my life's work doesn't seem so important in the eyes of the world, I know I'm right where I need to be doing exactly what I should be doing. And God will honor that. Love you friend!

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to come up with these things ever since you talked about it the other night. I'm having a hard time coming up with things, too.

Rachel said...

They're pretty lucky to have a momma like you! And, I'm thinking that I might need to jump on the Bittersweet bandwagon :)

Kelli said...

I had to keep re-reading this post because it sounded like you crawled in my mind.

Super curious about this book and what you are learning!

Your two girlies are blessed to have a momma like you who is willing to dive deep.

Gran said...

You are the woman God created you to be, Kristin. There are so many stages in life, and it is only as we follow His leading we know real joy and happiness. You are such a blessing to our family, and I want you to know I love you very much, in whatever stage you are in at the time. To me you are the perfect granddaughter. Love and special blessings to you today.

Jami Nato said...

i love your honesty here. i think you are so right on to what a lot of us think and feel everyday. we try to come up with quick fixes we think will remedy our insecurity, when we really need to thoughtfully consider and acknowledge our own hearts and bring that in front of the Lord. taking things out that don't belong there...

i can't wait to read your posts about this. props to you.

Whitney @ Journey Mercies said...

what?? i had no idea you had a blog!!! i am SO subscribing to you!!!! :) you can make those slammin' cupcakes yourself @ http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/chai-spiced-cupcakes-with-snickerdoodle-frosting/

gotta love
TK.....

annalee said...

first, of all did you catch that gran totally just said you are the favorite? congrats.
secondly, i love you.